Global

Tokyo, Japan seen through a Swede’s glasses. Differences, similarities & about being a big, big girl in a big, big world.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Back in business

Oh no, the season has started again! It is May and for the 2nd time during this week I have spotted a dear monstrous cockroach in our house. Alas, alas, alas! And husband has moved back to Sweden so we have to fight the battle all by ourselves, me and the girls. First time this happened, that we saw this kind of animal, was just about a year ago. I thought wow, what and big beetle. As the friend of animal I am (none meat eater) we catched the insect (well, the children was bribed to do that) and then we let the poor sod out in the garden. A couple of days later I happened to mention the small incidence to a colleague. And he responded well,, that's a cockroach! No, no, the besser wisser guy in me said; “Cockroaches are not at all that big, you see! This was just a bug so we let in out in the garden”. A weird smile spread over his face and then we dropped the subject. Just to be sure I checked on the Internet afterwards and found – terrified – that he was right! The Cockroaches in this country are extremely and monstrous big. In average around 6-7 centimetre, and additionally 3-4cm if you include the tentacles. Nevertheless and unfortunately they can also fly and they are very skilled in hiding…. Sigh. What makes them so disgusting? Well, they live and thrive in the sewage systems. Last night, just when I was ready to go to bed I spotted one just 1 (one) meter from the bed. Luckily I could catch him, but for some reason it spoiled my beauty sleep. Today I will arm us with poisons, traps and whatever is available on the market. And the mission is kill, kill, kill, kill.

Actually we also have other uninvited pets. For example a tiny salamander. That one is staying for the 2nd season in the door leading out form the bedroom to the garden. So also this summer season we have to stop using that door to avoid having him jumping into the house when the door is opened. We named him Rupert. If you catch him you get is tail in your hand he keeps running and the “tail” will grow out again.

The incidents mentioned above make the thoughts and mourning of soon having to leave this beloved city and bit easer. But just a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home